This post may contain affiliate or advertiser links. Read my full disclosure policy here.
When we were reading the book Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett, I pulled this together one morning for breakfast with the kids by combining a few recipes and making due with what I had on hand. It is one that we’ll make again during the holidays and fills the house with a definite ‘holiday’ cheer. The kids loved it as our breakfast.
~ 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
~ 1 cup sugar
~ 1/3 cup flour
~ 1 egg
~ 3 cups flour
~ 3/4 cup sugar
~ 1 1/2 tsp baking soda & salt
~ 1 tsp. ginger
~ 2 eggs
~ 3/4 cup milk and oil
~ 1/3 cup molasses
~ 1 cup chopped pecans
1. Mix ingredients for filling together well and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour and other dry ingredients. Sift together well. In a separate bowl, beat together egg, milk, oil, and molasses. Stir into dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in nuts.
3. Pour 1/3 - 1/2 of batter into a well-greased bundt pan. Spoon filling mixture over top of the batter. Cover filling with remaining batter.
4. Bake at 350 for 45 - 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for about 10 minutes and invert on a cooling rack.
5. Dust with powdered sugar.
Note: I used whole wheat flour and coconut oil in my baking and loved the results! Recipe card here.